Theydon Bois Primary is a community school, which serves a large suburban village on the north eastern fringe of Greater London. Pupils are aged between 4 and 11. As of January 2017 there were 311 pupils on our roll. Within a friendly, open atmosphere there is strong and purposeful leadership with staff and pupils who know what is expected of them.
There are three primary stages:
Foundation stage (Age 4 - 5) Reception
Key Stage 1 (Age 5 - 7) Years 1 and 2
Key Stage 2 (Age 7 - 11) Years 3, 4, 5 and 6.
Children are normally entered into Foundation classes with friends from pre-school. After this, we make every effort to group children according to friendship. We attach great importance to arranging classes with the smallest possible number. On average, classes have 30 pupils in them, but we try to keep the younger classes smaller if possible, to give every child the best possible start. As the number to admit each year is 45, children may be taught in classes with two year groups in them. Occasionally, classes will be grouped in single year groups. Within classes, children are grouped by ability in certain subjects.
The School Day
Foundation and KS1 (infants): 8.55am to 12.00noon, 1.00pm to 3.15pm
KS2 (juniors: 8.55am to 12.15pm,1.10pm to 3.15pm
All children have a 15 minute break each morning. KS1 have a 10 minute break in the afternoon. Actual hours of teaching per week, excluding registration, breaks and assemblies, are 21 hours and 10 minutes for KS1 and 23 hours and 50 minutes for KS2.
Children should arrive between 8.45am and 8.55am and proceed straight to class. We ask that once parents have seen their infant into the playground, they leave as quickly as possible. Parents of juniors (KS2) are asked to say goodbye at the gate.
• Registration takes place at the beginning of each session. Children who arrive after registration has taken place must report to the school office and sign in the late book before joining their class. If parents collect a child before a session ends, they must report to the school office and complete the signing out book.
The end of the day
• Infant children stay with their teacher at the classroom door until they see their parents. Juniors go into the playground. If the parent is not in the playground, children are told to go back to their teacher until collected. Any children who remain uncollected are looked after in the medical room until someone arrives for them.
Road Safety and Parking
Orchard Drive is busy and dangerous for children. We do all we can to teach basic safety rules. We ask you to support us by continuing to train children to cross roads safely. We also ask that if you must come to school by car to observe the yellow lines and not park outside the school, on the kerb or near corners, or on grass verges. If you travel to the village by car, we have parking permits for the village hall car park, information is available from the school office. Many residents in Orchard Drive are affected by inconsiderate parking i.e. across the entrance to their drive. Please consider others when parking.
We are required to keep a register of attendance of all children. When your child is unwell or unable to attend school you must contact us as follows:
- Telephone 01992 814560. This is an automated line for reporting absences from school. It is an ex-directory number and should not be used for any other messages.
- You will be asked the following information
- Your child’s class
- Your child’s name
- Your name and relationship to the child
- Reason for absence
- The current password; (please ask for this when your child starts school. You will be notified when it changes).
This must be done on every day that your child is absent. After registation the registers are checked against the telephone messages. If your child is absent and we have not received a message, we will telephone you before 10.30am. If we are unable to obtain a reason for your child’s absence and have tried all means of contacting you, your child will be given an unauthorised absence.
If the school needs to close for adverse weather – parents will be notified via Essex County Web site and a notice on the home page of this website.